The Microprose Campus

Morgan Drake, Head Blogger

As far as places to go on a school field trip, the Fargo Microsoft Campus sounds like a pretty good time. You’ve got Xbox, Windows, a merch store, and a huge set of buildings to walk around in. Unfortunately, not all was as it seemed. The trip to the campus began at about 9:30 am, when myself, a few fellow tech club ambassadors, and all of Chad Worrel’s coding class all got on a bus. There we sat for three hours. The trip there was fairly uneventful, I spent most of the time programming a game that Tyler Edwards and I are working on (shhhh, it’s a secret). We pulled up to a strip mall in Fargo before we reached the campus, just so us hungry teenagers could eat. Afterwards, we pulled in the the parking lot of Microsoft Fargo, got out, and went inside. The first thing we noticed was the gift shop, which is probably not the best thing in the world, but hey, we wanted stuff. The gift shop actually set the tone for the entire day: a lot of stuff we wanted to see and do, but were not allowed to, for not very well explained reasons. Let me explain-

The gift shop was divided into two halves: one which we were allowed to go in, and one which we were not. All the cool stuff was in the “Employees only” part of the shop, and we were shunned and turned away the second we tried to enter. This established a kind of norm throughout the day because there was a lot the we wanted to do and see on the campus, but we were highly restricted by the employees and by the predetermined schedule set for us. The majority of the visit was us sitting down in front of four Microsoft employees all seemingly hand picked for their diversity in education, as they told us four different stories of how they got to where they are now.

They were two and a half hours of sitting down and hearing a lecture not dissimilar to any other school talk, basically just a repetition of the phrase “Stay in school, do what makes you happy, be really good at it,” the kind of talk we’ve all heard a hundred times. After that was a very brief tour of the campus, with us ogling at all the cool stuff they have there but not being able to see any of it, with an intern as our tour guide, who was barely a week there, so he couldn’t really tell us much more than “And on your left is a big field where we have a company picnic.” After the tour, we were done, and it was a quite boring drive back.

Six hours driven to three hours of a lecture and a tour.