Saber Cybers Blog- Sunrise Over Technology

Morgan Drake, Head Blogger

When you were in grade school, do you remember having eight people from high school show you how to make and program your own machines? If the answer to that is “No, of course not, you idiot, I grew up in Bismarck North Da-flipping-kota,” then you may be a little angered by this particular blog post.

Last week, and the week before, a few members of the Saber Cybers Tech Club here in school, (you know, the ones that fix your computers), went to Sunrise Elementary School to show them how to program, how to make, and how to function in a technological world, using the most advanced tech we have in the school. My friend Tyler Heim and I showed the fourth and fifth graders how to build small machines with the Little Bits, Carter Meidinger and Austin Bosch demonstrated using the Makey Makeys to assemble a computer keyboard out of bananas, Jacob Langerud and my bun, Kianna Stroh, showed off what you can do with the Sphero balls by having the gradeschoolers build an obstacle course for them and then code the obstacle course into the machine, so it could run the thing flawlessly, and finally, with the help of Kayla Padilla and Margaret Bjelanovic, the kids also got to play with the little maker-based Ozobots, seeing visually how different codes being input into a machine will make it react differently based on what it’s told to do.

I can only speak from my experience, obviously, but it was very fun! We got to show kids how to build things like bubble blowers and flashlights, and they had a blast! Once they had something figured out, I would ask them, “Now that you’ve built it, do you understand why it works?” If the answer to that question was “Yes”, then I would challenge them to make something of their own, using what they had learned. I tell you, you have not lived until you’ve seen two halves of a grade school compete to see whose bubble blowing flashlight can make the biggest bubble.

I am very happy I went and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I would personally love if we could incorporate computers more heavily, like showing them how to make 3D models with free software like the Lego Digital Designer or TinkerCad. We also, for the very first time, took 360* pictures, which you can view here! I know we have plans to do more of this in the future, so only time will tell. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this, and I am in your browser history, forever.