New School New Tools

Back to Article
Back to Article

New School New Tools

Bridget Burns, Writer

The eager students walk into the building, not knowing what to expect. They know Legacy is a technology friendly school, but never in their wildest dreams did they expect so much, right at their fingertips.

The word is already out that Legacy will be a school built around technology. Phones, iPads, laptops and chromebooks will be tools at the hands of every student, enhancing their learning. The idea of technology based learning excites sophomore Hunter Fox.

“Technology has become a part of our everyday lives, so it just makes sense that we utilize it at our schools too,” Fox said.

Math teacher Heather Kostelecky already takes advantage of technology based learning.

“ I feel like it’s more adventurous,” Kostelecky said. “We look for new ideas that will help students learn better.”

While many may think technology distracts from learning, others believe technology teaches kids to be resourceful and think for themselves.

“It’s important for kids to learn on their own and figure out ways to understand because there are so  many resources out there for them to use,” Kostelecky said. “It’s almost a way to guide kids to their own learning.”

While we aren’t sure what technology Legacy will have next year we do know it’ll be available to all students. Librarian Maggie Townsend says that there will be a 3D printer in the library.

“Kids can make projects for classes or on their own,” Townsend said.

It’s safe to say technology will be enhancing Legacy and contributing to its success.

“Technology is here to stay, I’m glad our school is embracing it,” Fox said.