National Guard

Back to Article
Back to Article

National Guard

Jo Solemsaas, Writer

Explaining the upcoming event, they hand out the pamphlets to the students. They stick around to listen. Grabbing some merchandise, the students and them exchange thank you’s, as they wait for more young listeners.

National Guard members Jeremy Sigl and Grant Semchenko were at Legacy High School May 19 to tell the students about the “Discover Drill” they are holding for students 16 years and older June 12-14. This event is for students who are interested in joining the National Guard. The soldiers handed out  merchandise with the National Guard logo to the students. They gave away things like lanyards, bracelets and pamphlets.

“The students treated us very nice and had a lot of questions,” Sigl said.

If any student is interested in joining the National Guard, Sigl and Semchenko suggested talking to them and/or attend the “Discover Drill.” There will be rappelling, an obstacle course, a leadership reaction course, and physical fitness training for training. It is at Camp Grafton, at Devils Lake. If students have any questions about the event or about joining the National Guard or any form of the Army, they should talk to Legacy School counselor Elizabeth Kappel.

“You guys know what’s best for you,” Kappel said.

The Guardsmen talked to students throughout all three lunch periods and the day.

“It was really cool to have the National Guard here. They were really nice!” freshman Faith Reberg said.