Gym Haussler

Back to Article
Back to Article

Gym Haussler

Jim Haussler sitting at his desk.

Jim Haussler sitting at his desk.

Jim Haussler sitting at his desk.

Jim Haussler sitting at his desk.

Jo Solemsaas, Writer

He is called to a meeting and walks down to the meeting room. He opens the door, greets everyone and sits. They go through role call and they call the meeting to order. The first order of business shocks and almost overwhelms him.

Bismarck Public Schools Activities Director Jim Haussler is retiring this year and the district is honoring him and his dedication by naming the gym at Legacy after him. In his 31 years working for the school district he has accomplished many things. Legacy High School assistant principal Nadine Butts was very happy to be able to nominate him.

“For decades he has been influencing and progressing the Bismarck Public School District. He is a strong advocate for kids and for many other people,” Butts said.

During his career Haussler was also a social sciences teacher and helped lead lots of committees, both for the district and the community. Legacy activities director Paul Jundt thinks the community was lucky to have him these past 31 years.

“He has worked very hard and his unique no cut policy is the best thing. Our programs have been stronger because of him,” Jundt said.

Haussler feels it is a tremendous honor.

“It’s very humbling. I’m just a guy who loves my job, community, and the school district,” Haussler said.