Saber Cybers

Morgan Drake, Writer

Through and through, they are cold blooded, run on electricity, and are fully functional. Otherwise unassuming, these automatons live among everyone else, and do not attract attention. But among each other, no idea is too far fetched. No thought too complicated. Welcome to Cyber City.

This pet project, started by librarian Maggie Townsend, Technology Project Leader Aaron Preabt, and math and computer teacher Chad Worrel, is a club that would be put in place to help the students understand the technology that surrounds them.

“It’s an organization for the students to kind of explore technology, is really what we’re trying to gear it towards,” Worrel said.

This was originally going to be a class taught this year, however staffing and sign up limitations made this difficult.

“What we would like it to eventually become is a class,”Townsend said. “But this would be different, because it wouldn’t meet every week, every day at a time.”

But as a class, it’s still about a year or two down the road, as all of the club members have yet to be decided.

“I’ve been involved in all the planning meetings,” Preabt said. “It’s moving forward quite a bit right now, what we need to do is, we need nine kids to start a club, and we only have seven.”

However, what is decided is what exactly the students would be doing. This would be where teachers would select students to assist at a “Help Desk Infrastructure,” which would be operated by students. It would be more than just a simple desk, however, as there would also be  roaming students, who can go into classrooms and help. It would act like a schoolwide, always available IT department.

The club would be mostly student led, with Worrel being the overseer of the students. The main point of the club would be the fact that the students in this club would be the people who got to see all new tech that the school would plan on using first. For instance, there is a 3D printer in the works right now, the budget of which has already been approved. This would have a kiosk in the Library Media Center, where any student can take a project they’ve created in a computer, even on a Chromebook, and upload it. There would be a queue of projects and it would print them out one at a time. There’s even a camera that you can log into and watch projects be made.

Another instance of new tech is the fact that the club might get to deal with Raspberry Pi’s, which are small computers that run on Linux based software that basically allow the user to program them to do pretty much whatever you want. Read more about them here.

“It’s really gonna be kind of that ‘Genius Bar’ kind of feel,” Preabt said.

However, the obvious caveat to all this new tech is that help is needed. And funding. And applicants. But until then, if new and exciting tech interests you, contact either Worrel or Townsend, and sign up for the Saber Cybers today.